Far more than just aesthetics
Our web design process starts from the ground up
We strive to glean an in-depth understanding of our client's business and the needs of their customers. In doing this we are able to design websites and applications that deliver a far more user-focused experience, that in-turn generate leads and maximise conversions.
Our vast experience in web design and UX combined with our technical proficency ensure we deliver the full package. It's what we've been doing for years.
Design at a glance
Through detailed discussion and in-depth analysis of traffic we craft effective website structures that deliver content in an SEO and user-friendly way.
Meticulous planning, wireframing and prototyping is just the start of our web design process. This helps us build websites and apps that engage.
Designed for business
Purposeful website design that drives traffic, increases conversions and generates more leads, born from a thorough understanding of the end user.
Websites and hybrid web apps designed with a mobile-first mentality, delivered consistently across all modern devices regardless of screen size.
Our Web Design Process
The start of our design process involves talking.
From our intial discussion we hope to glean a clear understanding of your requirement and gather as much information as we need in order to put together our proposal and quotation. Don't worry though, we'll ask the right questions and we won't talk 'techy'... unless you want to.
This is where the real work begins.
As the project gets underway we begin working closely with you and delve deeper into your business and importanty, your customers. In understanding your customers, their drivers and what they're hoping to get out of the website we can begin planning effectively for the design phase.
Our creative web design powers are unleashed.
Working to a finalised sitemap we begin working on the key areas of the website. We ensure key areas of the website are tailored to your customers' needs, allowing them to fulfil tasks without distraction. Through a collaborative design process, a series of finalised page layouts and design elements are produced.
Structuring a build phase that delivers a prompt launch.
As this phase gets underway we take time to consider which areas of the website build should be prioritised. By doing this we can allow our customers to begin adding content early on in the build phase, which in turn advances the launch date. Once the build is complete we turn our attentions to content.
As the phrase goes 'Content is King'.
Throughout the design process we place a strong emphasis on content. During this phase we begin looking at this in more detail, ensuring decisions surrounding image selection, text quantity and wording are properly considered. Good content will engage - This is good for both the user and your website ranking.
Content in place, testing complete, ready to go.
With an extensive pre-launch and post-launch checklist we ensure this phase is undertaken swiftly to avoid any unecessary downtime. Consideration for website ranking is of utmost importance to us, so all necessary steps are taken to minimise any drop in search position immediately after launch.
The start of a great working relationship.
Post website launch we're here for you. Whether you'd like adhoc website development, ongoing optimisation, SEO or managed updates we're here to help.Let's talk
What website do you need?
We design all types of websites, but if you need some direction here are the main four.
Ideal for start-ups looking to keep initial web design costs down, or for businesses who require a basic web presence.
Our brochure websites are designed bespoke for your business and offer a similar first impression to much bigger sites.
Brochure websites are good for showcasing photos, outlining a service or providing users with contact information.
Often an extension of a business's brand, there is a strong emphasis on this type of website communicating effectively with customers.
Products, services and well-written content geared towards highlighting a business's strengths and unique selling points are paramount in ensuring an upturn in enquiries from qualified leads.
As with any website, ecommerce websites are designed for a defined target market, but with the primary purpose of selling products or services securely online.
Our ecommerce websites are driven by WooCommerce, WordPress's native, and currently the most popular ecommerce platform.
If it's been a while since your company's website was last updated then a website re-theme for your WordPress website may be in order.
A re-theme differs from a complete re-design in that the pages and content can be retained. It's only the look and feel (its theme) that will be overhauled. This is often the preferred choice if a brand new site from ground up is too much of an undertaking.
Web Design FAQs
Commonly asked web design questions. We have it covered.
- How much does a website cost?
- In order to accurately cost a new website we must have a thorough understanding of the website's size, functionality and purpose. Typically, cost is based on both the number of unique layouts required to accommodate the content, and whether any advanced functionality is needed. Typically, we work with budgets from £2,000 for a small website, up to £20,000 for a large website.
- Who do you work with?
- We typically work with small to medium size businesses, spanning numerous industries in and around the Basingstoke and Hampshire region. We have also helped many start-ups get their branding and online presence off the ground. We also have a number of clients in and around London. Take a look at our recent work.
- How long does a website take to build?
- The website build from start to finish depends on the scale of the proposed project. A small portfolio website will obviously take a lot less time to produce than a large ecommerce website. We can usually give our clients accurate launch dates from when the project starts, and we'll do our utmost to fit in with your tight schedules. As a very rough estimate a small to medium size website can be turned around within four to six weeks.
- What CMS do you specialise in?
- We specialise in WordPress and it's a no-brainer. This is because WordPress is by far the most popular and supported CMS platform on the market. It's also extremely customisable which means that there's nothing you can't do with WordPress. Also, for the more budget-conscious clients there are a myriad of fantastic plugins which can transform a simple website into a functionality-rich solution.
- Can you redesign or develop my existing website?
- At CobwebMedia we revel in taking an existing website and developing it into a tool that can reap rewards for your business - if a website doesn't do that then what's the point? Whether you need a redesign or development of your existing website, our process is always the same; we take time to understand your business and it's customers, then deliver a solution to fit.
- Who will own my website?
- You own your website. We can provide you with the files and database at any point and if you ever wanted to move on we won't charge for releasing the files like some companies do.
- Who's responsible for the website's content?
- This depends. During our quoting process we will provide you with a cost for us to populate your website. However, most of our customers normally populate their own websites whilst we consult with them. If you do opt to populate your own website, we make it easy for you to add content by providing video screencasts (in-house training if you prefer) showing you how.
- Where are you based?
- Primarilly we provide web design in Basingstoke. But we also provide web design in Hampshire, Berkshire and the surrounding counties, including London.
- Are CobwebMedia's websites SEO-friendly?
- Yes. Here at CobwebMedia we are constantly evolving to maintain what has always been an enviable understanding of local SEO. Our websites are cleanly coded, semantic and fast. The site structures we propose and our approach to content ensures further optimisation is built upon a solid base.
- Are there any hidden or ongoing costs?
- We don't hide costs or tie our customers in with any recurring fees. We have a transparent pricing model and list all expected costs during our quotation process.
- Do you work with off-the-shelf themes?
- In a word, no. We build themes bespoke for your business. Without an understanding of your customers, their drivers and your objectives an off-the-shelf theme will never be as effective for your business as a bespoke website.
- Do you offer SEO and ongoing maintenance?
- Absolutely, and we do just this for a number of customers. We take website health very seriously and encourage our customers to have an open dialogue with us to ensure their website ranking remains competitive.
Responsive WooCommerce Website Development for an Independent Children's Wall Sticker Retailer
Strengthened our brand
The team are responsive, tolerant, understand what it takes to build a project with a client over time, and their finished products are sharp, clean and attractive. Both sites have helped us to spread our content wider and to strengthen our brand.
Chris Mullany Southwark News
Very pleased with the result
The website only went live a few days ago and already the flow of orders is better than we anticipated. Throughout the design process I was impressed by CobwebMedia's collaborative approach and their ability to translate our objectives into practical design solutions.
Tony Harper Hadleys
Significantly improved our traffic
Since CobwebMedia built our website we have seen our online presence improve dramatically. Not only have they launched a beautiful and functional global website and extranet, they have also significantly improved our traffic and reduced our bounce-rate.
Matt Wannacott Vectair Systems